Saturday, December 24, 2011

Good Ole Boys

I watched a little bit of the Boise St./Arizona St. game the other night and I’m sitting there thinking, “ What the heck am I doing watching Boise play a 6-6 team?” Nothing against ASU, but they simply were not up to taking on Boise St. Boise won the game 58-26 or something like that. Boise had a record of 11-1.

Boise St. lost one game this year to a very good TCU team and they got banished to Siberia in the bowl matchups. Why? Because they are not part of the BCS, that special group of college programs from the “power” conferences. They’re not part of the good ole boys group. If I was Boise St. I’d be really ticked off. Yeah, I know, they’re going to the Big East next year so it will all be all right. But they shouldn’t have to. If you’re good, you’re good. And these guys are good.

“They don’t play a tough enough schedule,” some say. So, they go to a bowl and beat mighty Oklahoma. “Oklahoma didn’t want to be there,” some whined. Baloney! They went to Virginia Tech last year and beat the Hokies. “Luck!” they cried. “Let’s see them schedule the SEC”. So they scheduled Georgia, went TO Georgia and beat them. “Well, they couldn’t do that week in and week out,” they declared. By the way, Georgia was in the SEC championship game.

So, I’m fed up with this BCS system. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Big 10 fan and they are a BCS conference. But right is right. And who would I like to see Boise play? Oh man, how about Boise vs. Arkansas, Notre Dame, or Michigan? Now that’s what we should see. But to watch a great team play a 6-6 team, just wasn’t right.
www.chiefpigskin.com

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. This BCS system is not working at all. Let these non "Power Conference" teams PROVE that they shouldn't be there instead of a bunch of people DECIDING that they are not good enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boise St. is the REAL deal and I'm sick of listening to these clueless ESPN analysts talk about their schedule... and Mark May... I'm always tired of listening to him. I don't care what he's talking about... he's full of it!

    ReplyDelete