Monday, June 4, 2012

Players Promise Fiercer Pro Bowl

According to a report out of New York NFL players promised that the Pro Bowl will be more competitive. Uh huh, last year’s was the worst ever so anything will be an improvement. But once again I doubt if I’ll be tuning in. Evidently the NFL will hold the Pro Bowl in Honolulu next January 27, a week before the Super Bowl.

Commissioner Roger Goodell had made it clear cancelling the all-star game was a possibility after “uninspired play” of this year’s 59-41 AFC victory. I thought it was a done deal but it looks like I was wrong. I saw highlights of the game and it was embarrassing. It was clear that after a grueling sixteen game schedule and then four playoff rounds the players were beat up and tired. And that was the players not too injured to play. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the players don’t want to risk injury following a brutal schedule in a meaningless game. But, once again it appears that television revenue wins out.

So, following discussions between the league and the player’s union, the NFL announced that Aloha Stadium would host the Pro Bowl for the third straight year. As much as I love football I haven’t watched this game in years. Anyone out there feel like I do? For more exciting high school football just log on to Chiefpigskin.

No comments:

Post a Comment