Monday, August 13, 2012

Final Thoughts on The Games





The 2012 Olympics are over and it's time for me to step back, take a look, and give my thoughts. I did enjoy them as always and saw some historical performances. That's what's cool about the Olympics, it's history. Some sports I don't get, but I try to appreciate them all. So, let's go down the list of standouts (and disappointments) for me.


Swimming - The men and women were both exceptional. Missy Franklin is tough and Michael Phelps demonstrated his greatness again. He is truly a historical Olympian and maybe the best ever. Certainly one of the best and absolutely THE most decorated. I can't say he's the greatest ever because swimming has so many events it lends itself to winning a lot of medals. Some sports no matter how great you are you can only win one medal per Olympics.


Women's gymnastics - Wow! Those young ladies of the USA were on. And talk about performing under pressure, that's the epitomy of pressure. Gabby and company were sensational. I was impressed and that balance beam - it makes me nervous.


Men and Womens Track - This was a lot of fun and once again the USA performed well. The stars? Probably the women because of their talent and bubbly personalities. The big star though was a Jamaican named Usain Bolt. I'm telling you, fifty years from now you younger folks will still be telling stories about this guy. We saw a legend run - period!


Basketball - I expected two gold medals and we got 'em. I didn't see anything that amazed me, just business as usual.

Volleyball - We did well, as expected but no Gold. Oh, beach volleyball our women were dominant but I can't quite get excited about it, sorry. I do try to appreciate their talent.


Soccer - The Gold was expected and delivered by the women. Do we have a men's team? I try to appreciate soccer.


Wrestling - We did OK but this is a sport that we have dominated at times. I don't like the new format of winning periods. How long has this been going on? More than ten years? I don't like it, but I do love wrestling, these guys are STUDS.


Boxing - Oh my gosh! Huge disappointment. The USA used to dominate and the men didn't win a single medal, not one. Of course, boxing's not as popular as it used to be, I used to love it. I remember the '76 Olympics with Ray Leonard, Howard Davis, the Spinks brothers and others. Dad, my brothers and me were jumping out of our seats cheering the American boxers. It was thrilling. Those days are gone. Look at the medals these guys hauled:


106:Louis Curtis ,112:Leo Randolph (GOLD) 119: Charles Mooney (SILVER) 125: Davey Lee Armstrong 132: Howard Davis Jr. (GOLD) 139: Ray Leonard (GOLD) 147: Clinton Jackson 156: Charles Walker Jr. 165: Michael Spinks (GOLD) 178: Leon Spinks (GOLD) +178: Johnny Tate, (BRONZE)


Well, there was a lot more, but that's what stands out to me. Now it's wait four more years but isn't that one of the things that make the Olympics special? Chiefpigskin.com



No comments:

Post a Comment