Sunday, November 25, 2012

Lincoln, Storyteller

Sometimes I go see a good movie and it leaves an impression on me. Had another one last week when my wife and I went to see "Lincoln". Now this movie may not be for everyone because it's not typical Hollywood fare. You know, cars crashing, buildings exploding, karate fights, vampires, the usual. But what you will get is a great history lesson, superb acting and directing, and a fairly realistic look at President Abraham Lincoln's last four months in office. My wife and I REALLY enjoyed this movie and would recommend it as a "must go".

Maybe it's because I'm a history buff, and a civil war buff that I liked it so much but beyond that it gave a picture of Lincoln's personal life, political life, and personal resolve. But one thing it really brought to life was Abe's ability to tell a good story. It's well documented that Lincoln was a story teller but this movie showed how effective he could be when in tense political moments. It reminded me of how effective Jesus was at story telling. Now, I'm NOT comparing Lincoln to Jesus, heaven forbid, but he copied Jesus' example of using stories to makle a point. Remember how when Jesus would tell a good story and his disciples would walk away saying, " What's he talking about? What does that mean?" Well, the same was true for Lincoln. At times he would tell a sory in the middle of a heated cabinet meeting and his cabinet members could be heard saying, "What was that?" But there was always a point. I like story telling and always thought it was an effective way to communicate. Most of his stories were humorous too, which was entertaining.

Oh, by the way, the week before we saw "Skyfall" the new Bond movie. Full of action like explosions, fights, car chases and stuff. I liked that too. In fact, maybe the best Bond movie I've seen yet and I've seen Bond movies since 1965.

On another side note, do you believe Notre Dame started the season unranked and now they're 12-0 and playing for the national Championship? Just goes to show, never rely on the polls. Anything can happen.  Chiefpigskin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment