Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pro Bowl Suspended

It's been at least 10 years since I watched a Pro bowl game. So the only thing that surprised me when the announcement was made that commissioner Roger Goodell had suspended the game was why it took so long to take this action. I probably know the answer. TV money. That game lost its shine years ago.

By the time you get to that time of year players are beat up, tired, and don't want to get injured playing a meaningless game. The only All-Star game worth watching now is the major league baseball All-Star game. They play pretty hard, but it's a much different game, of course. And the NBA All-Star game? A joke. It's become a no defense dunking contest and I've seen enough dunks. I'd rather watch the Globetrotters.

I remember a young defensive linemen with the Bears back in the 70’s. His name was Wally Chambers and he along with Dan Hampton were destined to become pro bowlers and Hall of Famers. Chambers was the Bears first round pick and eighth overall in the draft. Hampton went on to greatness. But what about Chambers? I'm telling you, this young player was really good, maybe better than Hampton. He was rookie of the year and played in three or four straight Pro Bowls then tore his knee up in the Pro bowl as a young player and never was the same player again. No wonder guys don't play hard in the Pro bowl.

I saw the highlights of the game this year as the AFC defeated the NFC 59 to 41. It looked like a two hand touch game and now it's been suspended. About time.

No comments:

Post a Comment