Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Back to the Stress

I'm a big baseball fan and always have been. When I grew up in the late 50's and early 60's you rode your bike around with your baseball glove hanging on your handlebars in case you ran acrss a sandlot game going on. I also grew up a St. Louis Cardinal baseball fan because my Dad was a Cardinal fan. He was a Cards fan because his Dad was and so on. So it comes as no surprise that I am closely following the playoffs in Major League Baseball once again. But it's stressful.

It's stressful watching the ebb and flow of every game and watching your team get in and out of jams. No matter who you root for in baseball it seems your team is always in a jam. Full counts, opposing runners all over the bases, blown saves, hitting into double plays, etc.  When your team is in the the playoffs everything is magnified, it gets really tense, and it seems the Cardinals are always in the playoffs. They've been in the NLCS 7 times in the last 12 years, playoffs something like 9 of the last 12. I've watched them play in 9 World Series (really stressful) winning 5. Now they're back at it again.

I don't think they will repeat as champions. Oh, I think they're good enough, but these days you have to keep winning playoff series against other good teams. They won 3 playoff series last year, won a one game playoff against the Braves this year and beat the Nationals in a best of 5 this year. They can't keep winning these series like this, can they? Eventually you get whipped, no matter how good you are.

But I'm going to watch and enjoy this while I can. Heck, some teams rarely make the playoffs and haven't won the World Series for over one hundred years. So I'm going to enjoy the baseball playoffs, the high school football playoffs and not get stressed. Yeah, right.  Chiefpigskin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment