Tuesday, October 9, 2012

LOMBARDI

I like the theatre and no, I'm not talking about the movies, although I like them too. I'm talking about the theatre, Broadway type play on the stage. And yes, I like musicals too, but that's another story. Anyway, about a year and half ago I first read about a play coming to Broadway called "Lombardi". Sports Illustrated wrote an article about it and included a small conversation between Vince Lombardi, Paul Hornung, and Jim Taylor when Lombardi was first hired for the head coaching job of the Green Bay Packers. The conversation was classic Lombardi and I knew right then I just had to see the play. Heck, I was tempted to drive out to New York City when it opened just to see it. Well, not really, but I thought about it. Once it opened I read nothing but great reviews. I figured eventually it would be in Chicago and I would go see it there.

Now it just so happened that my wife and I were headed up to Door County, Wisconsin to close up our daughter and son-in-law's cabin for the winter. Door County is an old fashioned tourist attraction area that covers the entire Wisconsin peninsula. We've always enjoyed spending some time there. There is an outstanding summer theatre there called Peninsula Players Theatre with very high quality stage. Guess what was playing? Yep, Lombardi. I told my wife, "We're going." When we got to Door County on Friday I bought tickets for Saturday night. Saturday night was cold and windy but we were dressed for it. The theatre is enclosed but it's still described as open air. It was very comfortable inside. The place was full by opening curtain (about 800) and you could sure tell we were in Packer country. Packer ball caps, stocking caps, jackets, sweatshirts - Packer apparel all over the place. These cheese heads love their Packers.

The play focuses on a week of Lombardi's life as he is being interviewed by a cub reporter from New York. There are flashbacks as well and we learn how Lombardi got the Green Bay job. I really enjoyed the play and would recommend it to any football coach and his wife. But you don't have to be a football guy to enjoy this play. My wife liked it and she's not exactly crazy about football. (She was a football widow for thirty years) It really shows how things have changed. Lombardi couldn't coach the pros today. He wasn't just old school, he was old, old school. I can just hear him now, shouting, "What the hell's goin' on out there?" when he sees all the dancing going on out there in the NFL today. But that's another story too.

If you get a chance, see it. Chiefpigskin.com




No comments:

Post a Comment