Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Goal Line Stand

A while back I posted a blog about "Lucky or Good" in which I related a story about my sophomore year in football. I was put in at linebacker, a position I'd never played nor practiced and made a couple of good plays. Was I lucky or good? Well, the following year, against the same team, I had another lucky or good episode. But this one is even better. Yes, it's a true story too, although you may have your doubts. But I guarantee, it's the truth.

The year was 1967, I was a junior on the varsity football team and once again we just happened to be playing the Spalding Irish at Peoria Public Schools Stadium. I had been having a pretty good game at halfback in passing situations because I was a good pass protector. I had a great cut block. (illegal today in high school ball) I had only carried the ball a couple of times for short yardage. Anyway, Spalding was whipping us pretty good as always and the game was winding down to the last minute with Spalding on our three yard line ready to score again. Spalding went 10-0 that year and was coached by the great Merv Haycock. Coach Traficano, our head coach, was pretty frustrated and turned around looking at all of us guys on the sideline yelling, "Does ANYONE want to play?" He looked square at me and yelled, "Grant - you do! Get in there at left tackle!" Without a word I obeyed my coach and headed toward the huddle.

I've said before, I was small. How small? Well, by my junior year I had "grown" to about 5'5" and weighed 128 pounds. That's not exactly defensive tackle prototype. I was in fact, THE smallest player in the conference. As I ran out onto the field I was thinking, "D tackle - where do I line up?" I got to the huddle and announced I was in at left D tackle. A player left the huddle, I don't even remember who it was. I knew I was on the line, but beyond that I wasn't sure where to go. "Where do I line up?" I yelled. As Spalding broke the huddle my teammates helped me with my alignment. I was in a three point stance directly in front of a 190 pound guard. He looked 265 but I know he wasn't. The quarterback started his cadence and as I looked at him to my right I couldn't help but notice Spalding had very wide splits and there was nothing separating the QB from me but about four feet of open space. I couldn't believe I was so close to him. In a split second I decided I was going to shoot the inside gap and crush that QB! The ball was snapped; I shot the A gap so quick the guard missed me and I was in free. The QB reversed out and booted to his right. Now he was to my left. I had shot the gap so quickly that I overran him. "Oh no, I missed him", was my thought. I planted my right foot quickly and rerouted to my left and reached desperately with my left hand. As I was diving I got my left arm around his thighs, wrapped my other arm around his legs and brought him down for a two yard loss. Whew! I barely recovered. My teammates were pattin' me on the back congratulating me. But I had learned my lesson. I was NOT going to shoot the gap again. On the second play they came right at me, probably expecting me to shoot the A gap again. They didn't even block me as the right guard veered to my left. They ran a dive play right at me and I made the tackle on the line of scrimmage. All the guys were slapping me on the back as they pulled me to my feet. I had practically single handed made a goal line stand but they NEVER blocked me. Heck, I should have made those plays.

The game was over and I was headed toward the locker room when I heard a voice behind me. "Grant!" I turned and looked. It was Coach Traficano. He had a little smile and put his hand on my shoulder. "Nice job", he said as we continued toward the locker room, "Thanks Coach".

Now I ask you, was I lucky or good? Let me know. Chiefpigskin.com



No comments:

Post a Comment