Saturday, July 21, 2012

Puttin' on the Uniform


I happened to notice a post on a forum the other day from a football coach who had just handed out equipment to his players. He was so excited and the kids were excited just to get their equipment. It made me think a little bit about the magic of putting on a uniform. It doesn’t just have to be a football uniform but I just happen to believe, based on my own experiences, that the football uniform is the most special. And I can give you a lot of stories to back up my belief. Anyway, one particular story involving my son and me came to mind.

It was early August of 1992 and we had just finished our football camp the week before. We hadn’t handed out equipment yet, that would be done the day before official practice started around August 10th. Now it’s important to know that my son had never played organized football before. I was never sure if he was ready for it so he played a lot of other sports. So here he was 14 years old and he had never put on a real football uniform. I don’t count the one I got him at K-Mart when he was 7. Well, I was on the football staff and I had a key to the equipment room so I asked the head coach if I could get my son’s equipment early. One afternoon I said, “Let’s go get you fitted for your football gear.” He was pumped. He had waited for this day for a long time.

We got to school (which was right across the street) and got out some gear. Helmet, shoulder pads, practice jersey, pants, and pads. Got him all fitted so everything fit well. He only weighed 105 and stood about 5-2 so I had to get some small stuff. Once we got everything fitting well he put it all on and he went and stood in front of a big mirror. We both just stood and looked in the mirror. He with his uniform and me standing next to him. I don’t know who had the bigger smile, him or me. I slapped the top of his shoulder pads a couple of times to simulate a hit. “How’d that feel”? “Good,” he replied. More smiles.

Who would have thought that just putting on a uniform could be so much fun? We had BOTH waited for this day a long time. Practice was just around the corner and he was ready to go. This is the time of year that anticipation for the season starts to mount. The first order of business is “Puttin’ on the uniform!”
Chiefpigskin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment