Sunday, July 15, 2012

Team USA


I’m not a basketball coach. I’m a football, wrestling coach of 30 years. But I know this; if the USA basketball team plays as a team, no one will beat them. Heck, LeBron has nothing to prove, Kobe has nothing to prove, everyone knows how good they are. That’s why I was encouraged to see LeBron get only 7 points and Kobe 5 in their exhibition against the Dominican Republic. In my mind, as long as these guys don’t care who gets the glory, no one can beat them.

I’m not a LeBron hater, but I was irritated with the way he handled leaving Cleveland. Made too big of a show of it. And I’m not crazy about superstars getting together to make a super team. Can you imagine Jordan calling Magic and Bird on the phone and saying, “Hey, let’s all sign with the same team and win championships?” Wouldn’t have happened. So, having said all that, those guys ARE free to do as they please professionally and I’m OK with LeBron.

But, I am impressed with his attitude on the Olympic team. I think he is really OK with doing whatever it takes to win. It seems Coach K has these guys buying into that. It’s not about x’s and o’s, and it’s certainly not who can do the fanciest dunk. It’s about being unselfish, and I think these guys will do what it takes. They did in the 2008 Olympics, and I hope they’ll do it again. By the way, did anyone think Deron Williams would be this good? Did anyone think Kevin Love would be as good as he is? Chiefpigskin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment